So how do entrepreneurs deal with the everyday frustrations and heartaches of owning a business? I asked a few entrepreneurs I know and got these answers.
- Take vacations
- While this isn’t always feasible or even truly relaxing, sometimes it’s nice to get away from it all. If you’re in front of the computer all day long, go camping and leave your mobile devices behind. But be careful not to plan a busy vacation that leaves you more exhausted than your work does.
- Talk to other entrepreneurs
- Misery loves company. Commiserating with other entrepreneurs can sometimes be a relief, especially when they are dealing with the same problems you are. It makes you feel less alone and able to relate to a sympathetic soul. Every once in a while, the other entrepreneurs may offer possible solutions and tips too.
- Find advisors
- A trusted mentor or advisor can help significantly. They can share their wisdom, lend perspective, and help you get through tough times. Even if they don’t have solutions, it’s nice to know a more experienced person is around, watching your back. Experience is valuable, and good advisors can offer it in spades.
- Talk to family & friends outside of your industry
- Sometimes it’s good to talk about topics other than your business. Family and friends who aren’t involved in your industry can be a great source of relief. They free your mind from your daily stress, can be a nice distraction, and may occasionally inspire you with non-traditional solutions.
- Hire great people and delegate
- Easier said than done, but if you can do it, life will be great. Hire trustworthy people smarter than you and delegate responsibilities to them. They can keep things running and potentially improve the business in ways you can’t.
- Know when to go out and relax
- Just as your eyes need a break from the computer screen and your wrists need a break from the keyboard, your brain needs a break from work now and then. So after you read this post, get up. Take a walk, treat yourself to a coffee, or do some jumping jacks. Your brain needs it.
- Exercise and eat right
- Maintaining good health is one of the best ways to decrease stress. Exercise and healthy food also improves your brain’s performance, so it’s got a double benefit. Make exercise part of your daily routine, even if it’s as small as a walk around the block.
- Meditate and do yoga
- Some friends swear by this. Meditation can be really tough to start, but once you learn how, it can be a great source of relaxation. Yoga is a great companion or alternative to meditation, as it combines both meditation and exercise.
- Listen to relaxing music
- Music soothes the savage beast. If you find your stress increasing, put on a good song. And if you’re really stressed (and perhaps, alone), get up and dance. Shake those hips. Move that booty. Sure, you’ll feel silly, but it could literally shake some of the stress out of you.
What do you do to relax?