This is the first post in a series on How to Make Money as a Freelance Blogger:
First, you need to know how to write online. Since reading an article on a computer monitor is different than reading it on paper, online reading behaviors differ significantly.
Second, you need to know to optimize your articles for search engines. Also known as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), this means getting your articles to show up high on a search engine’s results.
Now for a list of must-read articles and resources:
Alertbox is a bi-weekly column with a number of useful research reports on general web usability.
- Writing Style for Print vs. Web
- How Little Do Users Read?
- Long vs. Short Articles as Content Strategy
- Passive Voice Is Redeemed For Web Headings
- Write Articles, Not Blog Postings
- Use Old Words When Writing For Findability
- Lower-Literacy Users
- Targeted Email Newsletters Show Continued Strength
- Microcontent: How to Write Headlines, Page Titles, and Subject Lines
- Be Succint! (Writing for the Web)
- Inverted Pyramids in Cyberspace
Copyblogger is a popular blog with a lot of useful online copywriting tips aimed at marketers and copywriters.
- The Inigo Montoya Guide to 27 Commonly Misused Words
- How to Be Interesting
- 3 Sure-Fire Steps for Beating the Boring Content Blues
- Just Say No to These Three Enemies of Clear and Direct Writing
- Ten Timeless Persuasive Writing Techniques
- How to Write Headlines That Work
- Why You Should Always Write Your Headline First
- 10 Sure-Fire Headline Formulas That Work
- 7 More Sure-Fire Headline Templates That Work
- How to Write a Killer “How To” Article That Gets Attention
- 7 Reasons Why List Posts Will Always Work
- The Structure of Persuasive Copy
- The Long and Short of Copywriting
- The 5 Essential Elements of Search Engine Keyword Research
- How to Create Cornerstone Content That Google Loves
- SEO Copywriting Techniques That Readers Love
ProBlogger is a popular blog with useful writing tips aimed at professional bloggers who make a living writing blogs.
- 11 Ways to Open a Post and Get Reader Engagement
- Using Titles Effectively on Blogs
- Scannable Content
- Post Length – How Long Should a Blog Post Be?
- Granular (One Topic) Posts
- Writing Good Content
- More on Writing Content for your Blog
- Calls to Action – 12 Tips to SNAP Readers Out of Passivity
- 13 Ways to Add New Dimensions to Your Next Post
- Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar – Quality Control for Bloggers
- 5 Powerful Techniques to Help Your Posts Stand Out
- How Often Should a Blogger Post?
- Search Engine Optimization for Blogs – SEO
The How to Make Money as a Freelance Blogger series: